We polled the office and created an (un) official list of Lansing’s best spots for a special Valentine’s dinner. Whether you’re looking to impress your new person with unique cocktails, or surprise a long standing S.O., every menu on this list aims to please and comes specially recommended.
7. Black Cat Bistro, East Lansing – we love this jazzy joint in the heart of East Lansing for its Moscow mules and pumpkin cheesecake. Grab your suit coat or LBD, but remember that MSU plays Sunday afternoon which may affect your parking plans. We suggest pairing the roasted duck leg with a bottle of pinot noir.
6. Cosmos, Old Town – If you’re looking for a little low key pizza and chill, check out Cosmos in Old Town. Grab a seat at the pizza bar with your valentine and enjoy an ambiance full of sci-fi comic collections and the best 90’s alternative playlist in town. We recommend the Heirloom tomato paired with one of their Michigan craft brews on tap.
5. Bordeaux, Delta Township – This west side gem brings serious class to Delta Twp. As a special treat this Valentine’s Day, they will offer blindfolded wine tastings to requested reservations. The American-French mixed menu offers quite a selection of red meats and seafood, to which we recommend the scallops. Don’t worry about the chocolates because this meal ends with a blindfolded tasting of a surprise dessert.
4. Soup Spoon, Lansing’s east side neighborhood – This east side treasure might be closed on Sundays, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth celebrating on a Saturday. We love Soup Spoon for their genuine service and pride for local produce. If you’re a scotch lover, you’ll find it here.
3. Creole, Old Town – new to Old Town, Creole has a packed house every weekend so be sure to reserve a table. Between the dim lights and NOLA inspired décor you can’t be certain you’re not actually IN the French Quarters. The menu is just as you’d expect; jambalaya, gumbo, cornbread and seafood. Be sure to end your meal with a beignet. If you’re feeling frisky, ask about the absinthe bar.
2. Lansing Brewing Company, Stadium District – We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention Lansing’s only full production brewery. This V-Day, LBC is hosting an Anti-Valentine’s dinner in celebration of our craft beer loving singles. Looking to boycott the Hallmark event? Stop by LBC for a solo meal deal paired with a special dessert. Best part? You don’t need a reservation! Table for one, please!
1. Turkey Man Stand, Breslin Center – Yeah… we went there. Are you surprised? What’s Valentine’s Day without our favorite (Denzel) Valentine?! In all seriousness, treat your favorite Spartan to the best turkey leg in town and cheer on our Spartans as they take on Indiana at 1:00pm. Go Green!